Featured Post

Returning Demons

Dear Reader, This may be my very first "drunk" blog post.  OK...I'm not exactly drunk...but I am under the influence.  The &...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bankers

My husband and I are certainly no one to lecture about the importance of managing your money. We, ourselves, didn't have very good role models. I spent my entire childhood watching my parents juggle money only to run out and have the phone shut off, oil run out of the tank, electricity off for a week at a time. My husband's parents, clearly middle class, managed their money extremely well but didn't pass this knowledge on to their son. You see, they NEVER talked money and finances with him.

Yet, they were quick to give him the boot after high school graduation. From there he entered the United States Navy. Never known for being babysitters, the US Navy gave him money and he had no idea what to do with it!! Me, coming from less than humble beginnings...spent my money on the things I wanted when I wanted. It wasn't long into our marriage that we found ourselves in a lot of financial trouble that took us YEARS to get out of. Our credit score was still lacking but we were able to get financing for a home in Connecticut.

My father, suffering from COPD and emphysema, came down seriously ill and was in ICU for several weeks. With young children, I was relying on him to ensure that they safely came home from school and stayed safe. This couldn't happen when he was in the hospital. I asked my employer to grant me a sift in hours for the next few weeks to ensure the safety of my children. This was not allowed and I was unceremoniously let go...forced to choose between my family and my job! But, that is a different blog all together.

What followed was several months of unemployment. My husband was just starting out in the automotive technician field and his pay was less than cellar. Working with Option One Mortgage company was no picnic. They refused partial payments, in fact, they sent back payments that were not made in full. The refused to help us every step of the way. Of course, I don't think I ever spoke with an english speaking service representative.

Months of fighting the mortgage company, foreclosure notices and each other, we finally gave up and became one of the first Sub-Prime Mortgage Victims. Now, I don't place the entire blame on Option One...but they do own some of it. The point is....we couldn't handle our finances and now can't get financed for a slice of bread.

So why......why are those in "charge" at these banks getting a bailout and keeping their jobs. Why are their "grunt" workers being laid off while they continue to receive exhorbant incomes, bonsues and perks??? How has this bailout helped Main Street America? Small businesses all over America are closing because their lines of credit aren't being renewed...but hey James Dimon, Henry Meyer, Richard Fairbank and the TONS of other overpaid, hyped up executives can keep their multi-million dollar salaries, company perks and luxurious houses while people like us begin to look over the edge at homelessness, malnutrition, and utterly lack of help from our state and local governments. (If you click on the title of this post, you'll be forwarded to the msnbc.com article that prompted my rant.)

No comments: